Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pepper jelly

Anyone else getting the itch to can yet?

Every year, about mid September, I say something along the lines of "I don't ever want to see another canning jar again!". 

Yet, here I am.  Ready to do it all over again.  

I do love it.  Just remind me of that in a couple of months.

This is one of my favorite recipes. 

I follow it exactly - well, maybe not exactly.   I don't add the food coloring.  I didn't have any the first year I made it and I kind of like the light green color it naturally has.

Here's what you need:

1 cup ground bell peppers
1/4 cup chili peppers (I use Hungarian wax)
6 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 bottle Certo
Food coloring

Mix all except Certo.  Boil for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Let stand 20 minutes.  Strain.  Heat to boil and stir for two more minutes.  Remove from heat and add food coloring and Certo.  Stir.  Put in jars and seal. 

You can process these for 5 minutes in a boiling water canner. 

My biggest pet peeve with canning recipes is that they never tell you how to use what you've canned.

This is the best and easiest thing to grab off the shelf when you need to take a little something to a get together.

Just put down a brick of cream cheese, pour the pepper jelly over it and serve with crackers. 

Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!