Saturday, March 10, 2012

Woven Favorites: Green Beans and Caramelized Onions

I am set in my way when in comes to green beans.

I don't want a goopy green bean casserole.

I don't want any kind of cheese or sauce on them.

I want good old fashioned slow cooked green beans, just like my Nan made.

If they're just out of the garden, even better.

After trying this recipe, I may have to add one addition.

Bambi Liller submitted this recipe to the cookbook and let me just say - Bazinga!

I'm kinda loving it.

Here's what you'll need:

4 strips bacon
2 large onions
3 pounds fresh green beans
3 Tbsp. vinegar
4 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

In a heavy skillet, fry bacon until crisp.  Remove and drain, reserving 2 Tbsp. of drippings.  In drippings, cook onions over low heat until brown, about 15 minutes.  Cook beans 8-10 minutes until tender and crisp.  Drain.  Stir vinegar and brown sugar into onions.  Add beans.  Cook for 1 minute.  Add crumbled bacon.  Salt & pepper to taste.

Really, what's not to love about beans, onions and bacon.  I used beans I had canned from last year's garden and only one onion, chopped.  I was just a little too tired to go out to the cellar for the second onion.  It was still delish.

Sorry, we ate it before I remembered a picture. 

Thanks Bambi for the great recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!