Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Savoring God's Sweet Grace

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
                                                        1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


"Are YOU kidding me?!! ...... I JUST GOT THOSE!!"

Oh the horror!  As a college sophomore, my budget was, to put it lightly, very low.  The frequency of having special treats was practically never.  My very favorite candies wer Peanut M&M's and Reese's peanut butter eggs, only in stores at Easter, one time a year.  The was long before they came up with peanut butter pumpkins and footballs and Christmas trees, so you really could only have the extra peanut buttery goodness at Eastertime! 

As the daughter of a self-professed chocoholic, the care packages I would recieve from the mom were nothing short of awesome!  That Easter was no exception.  I got the mail late one day, opened the fantastic Easter package and left the package of peanut M&M's and the package of peanut butter eggs on the counter to have some the next day. 

When I woke up the next morning and went to the kitchen for eat breakfast, all I found on the counter was the silly bendable Easter bunny that came with the care package and the empty wrappers of what used to be the chocolately treat. 

After yelling horribly at my roommates, I called my mom in the midst of being thoroughly distraught.  She reminded me that this situation was not the end of the world.  After all, there was more where the original supply came from!  She also reminded me that both of my roommates did not have mothers that were actively involved in their lives.  In fact, they never got care packages.  I definitely did not feel like rejoicing that my favorite candies were stolen, but I certainly began to pray for my roommates and was genuinly learning how to "give thanks in everything".

                                                                                            ~ Kathy Ervin

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!