Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What the heck is Servolution?

Servolution:

To initiate a complete and radical change of a persons life through simple acts of kindness for the glory of God.

God's Kingdom on Earth as it is in Heaven.
 
A church revolution through serving.

 
Here's the thing - we all think that reaching our community takes a ton of time and resources that we don't have.  I mean, don't you need a theology degree or something official to really reach people for Christ? 
 
But think back to what brought you to church.  I was raised in church, but things happened and - well, let's just say I didn't go to church anymore and I had a big chip on my shoulder towards churches, Trinity in particular..  Do you know how I came back to Trinity?  An act of kindness.  My friend Wilma and her family helped me move.  They also refused to let me pay them - in money anyway.  She agreed to help me move, if I would come to church with her.  She loved me when I was pretty unlovable.  And she let me around her kids despite my trashy mouth.  I don't know that I would have done that.
 
The point is that it doesn't take anything more than what you already possess:  God's love and a desire to love people. 
 
That is Servolution.  Taking a meal, washing a car, cutting grass - none of this is rocket science.  It's just showing love to those who might not even realize they need it. 
 
Instead of just nodding during announcements and thinking to ourselves "Well that's a great idea for the young people", let's actually do something this year.  Let's each challenge ourselves to serve our community at least once this Summer.  It's just once.  Imagine if each and every one of us that attends our church took just one day - and it's not even a whole day - to show God's love to our community.  Wow!  I can't even imagine the impact that would have on our area, can you? 
 
Instead of thinking that someone else will do it, let's each take the initiative to call the church and say "I'm in".  I want to help.  Nothing that is being done is really that hard - picking up trash, painting, mowing the grass (although I'll admit, I don't see myself signing up for the grass).  The point is we can each do something.  Who knows what kind of plans will happen this Summer, but let's get involved. 
 
Let's show God's love one little act of kindness at a time. 
 
Servolution.  I like that.  How 'bout you?

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!