Thursday, October 11, 2012

Book review: 7. An experimental mutiny against excess.


I was mentioning to my friend Ame that I needed "something good" to read.  Enter the recommendation of 7: An experimental mutiny against excess.  Apparently, the  women's group at her church had used it as their book group over the Summer. 

7 is the true story of author Jen Hatmaker, and at times her family, who took seven months, identified seven areas of excess in their lives, and made seven simple choices to fight back against modern excess and simplify as a means of focusing less on stuff and more on God.

I enjoyed most of this book, although it was very convicting at times.  I love that she wrote the book in a journal style, describing both her victories and struggles.  She was real.  I appreciate that. 

I do not, by any means, consider myself wealthy.  But when you think about it, if you have a roof over your head and food in your belly, you are better off than most of the world.  That's pretty easy to forget in our day to day life. 

What I loved most about this book was honestly, the timing of reading it.  I love when God does that.  Ame had no idea I was doing a Bible study on James, yet here she recommends a book that focusing on eliminating some of our "stuff" - our closets full of clothes we can't wear, our schedules packed to overflowing - all for the purpose of focusing on Jesus and loving the people he loves.  Taking care of the poor and the needy.  Showing love to our families by actually taking time for them. 

Sounds like maybe Jen has read a little James herself.

Now granted, I'm not going to go all granola and start recycling tree bark into shoes or anything like that.  But I am challenged to live purposefully and with in my means so that I can help others. 

I mean, that is what we are called to do.  Right?

If you're looking for a good - if not always easy - read, I recommend 7. 

Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

We love hearing from you!